After covering game loops in the previous posts,
I wanted to continue my explorations into game programming and build a complete game.
What better game to start with than good old Pong?
The topics covered in this example are:
- A game loop with variable time steps.
- Game objects.
- Keyboard controls.
- Collision detection and 'faked physics'.
- A simple AI to control the opponent paddle.
- Multiple screens and switching between them.
- Sound effects.
- Scaling the screen while respecting the aspect ratio, using letter- and pillarboxing.
The source code is available on GitHub.
If you've enjoyed my work or found it helpful, please consider becoming a patron.
Your support helps me free up time to work on my books and projects.